As per World Health Organization report there are more than 1 billion overweight adults, at least 300 million of them obese. Obesity occurs when there is an excess amount of fat (BMI of 30 or higher). Body mass index (BMI), defined as the weight in kilograms divided by the square of the height in meters (kg/m²). BMI above 25kg/m² is defined as overweight, and a BMI of over 30 kg/m2 as obese. Obesity can afflict any human being irrespective of whether men, women, adults, teenagers or children. The increasing obesity rate is a growing problem in the modern world. The problem of overweight and obesity has increasedin the last 2 decades particularly in metropolitan cities due to faulty lifestyle.
Main causes of over weight/obesity
- Unorganized, haphazardor sedentary life style.
- Unbalanced diet (Intake of junk food, high fat diets like chocolates, sweets, wafers and high carbohydrate food like potatoes, rice and pasta) & Overeating.
- Lack of exercises/Physical inactivity.
- Improper functioning of digestive system (improper digestion, improper assimilation of food and elimination of waste from the body).
- Psychological reasons such as Depression, anxiety, trauma and stress may cause eating disorder & may lead to over weight/obesity
- Recovering from a surgery or prolonged immobility.
Bad effects of obesity & over weight
Obesity and overweight pose a major risk for chronic diseases such as anxiety, hypertension, sleeping disorder,joints problem particularly knee joints, type-2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and stroke, and certain forms of cancer.
Cure for over weight/ obesity
- Change in lifestyle & eating habits
- Exercises/ yoga
Change in lifestyle & eating habits
Get up early in the morning and drink luke warm water with 1tsp lime juice mixed with 2tsp honey. Control anger and anxiety by avoiding the situation, keeping calm or taking deep breath. Do not watch TV while taking food. Take balanced diet i.e. food from all food groups such as Vegetables, fruits, whole-grains, legumes and low fat milk products & chew eatables properly. Avoid taking junk and spicy food, deep-fry food, processes food, ice cream, high fat diets chocolates, sweets, wafers and high carbohydrate food like potatoes, rice and pasta as these items lose nutrition balance and causes deposition of excess fat on body and sleep after two hours of dinner.
Exercises and yoga stimulate the body and create necessary hormones for the proper and smooth functioning of digestive system, heart, brain, kidney and all other organs of our body & play very important role in the treatment of Obesity.Brisk walking in the morning for twenty minutes or jogging, along with doing stretching exercises, asana and yoga's (PRANAYAM) is the best way to prevent & control obesity. Following Yoga techniques can be practiced effectively to reduce the weight.
- Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is the best way to burn the calories and reduce weight. It is useful for the people of all ages from kids to old people.
- Urdhvahastottanasana: Stand erect, heels joined. Interlock your fingers and slowly raise your hands up while inhaling. Now exhale and bend to the left at the waist. Hold the position as long as you can, breathing normally. Then inhale and bring the body back to erect position. Repeat for the right side. Repeat the asana 6-8 times.
- Ek Pad Utanasana: Lye on the back, keep the heels together & put the hands on the floor by the side of the body. Inhale slowly, stretch one of the feet forward and lift the tight leg up. Hold the breath remains in this position for six to eight seconds and bring the leg down while exhaling. Practice this exercise with the other leg. In the beginning, this asana should be practiced four times with each leg. After practice, one can practice this asana for more times with each leg.
- Uttanopadasana: Lye down in shavasana, Inhale & start raising your legs up to 30 degrees. Continue normal breathing & bring down your left leg slowly till the heel touches the floor. Now inhale & start raising your left foot till it joins your right foot, keep it up & bring down your right leg slowly till the heel touches the floor & relax. Repeat the same with your right leg. Keep the knees straight & toes out stretched and slowly bring both feet down till both heels touch the floor and relax.
- Pada Sanchalasana(Bicyling): Lye down on the floor or hard bed on your back, put the hands on the floor by the side of the body facing palm upward and raise your left leg and make a big zero by rotating it in a clockwise direction from the hip joint. Continue to make 8-10 circles without touching the ground at all. After rotating in clockwise direction, rotate the same leg in anticlockwise direction for 8-10 rounds. Relax for some time & repeat the same exercise with your right leg. Take normal breath. This asana can also be performed with both the legs at a time but those suffering from backache, slip disc, sciatica, high blood pressure and heart diseases should do this asana with only one leg at a time.
- Drututtanpadasana: Stretch your body and keep it taut. Inhale and raise both legs slowly while putting pressure on your hands. Align your legs at 90° to the floor and then slowly bring them down. However, just before touching the ground, raise both legs back up. Repeat this procedures 8-10 times or till you feel tired. Inhale while raising the legs, exhale while bringing them down. Repeat this asana 3-5 times
Regular exercises, yoga and meditation are also very useful in controlling psychological factors like depression, anxiety, stress and anger. Exercises and yoga are also very effective in controlling the diseases due to heredity and genetic reasons. For medical conditions consult the qualified doctor.
For more details and anti obesity visit: - http://www.lifestyle-health-fitness.com/cureobesity.html
I believe in ancient theory of lifestlye which emphasise that regulated lifestyle, balanced diet & regular exercises/yoga can prevent and even cure many diseases and will keep you physically as well as mentally fit with out medicines.
"Prevention is better than cure" is mool mantra of lifestyle. The address of my website is-- http://www.lifestyle-health-fitness.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Hari_Om_Agrawal
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/3031064